Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

More on Teachers:

Dwelling more on teachers.

Teachers need not be those who are actually teachers in a school.

The Great 'Periyava', who was called 'JagatGuru' was once asked why is that he is called JagatGuru. He calmly replied : The whole world teaches me. I am learning from everyone. From everything. That is why the 'Jagat' is 'Guru' to me. Hence, JagatGuru.

If the Great sage of Kanchi, the great 'Periyava' said the whole world is a teacher to him, it is a teacher to us all.

Who else has taught me? Well, actually the question should be who else has not taught me.

My Mom : She taught me all the stories. Ramayan, Mahabharat, the works. Whatever taste I have developed in sprituality is because of her. The taste for carnatic music is because of her. She taught me to give. To share. To persevere. To work on things tirelessly till I get it.

My dad : My love for cricket and Table tennis and Tennis is because of him. My love for English is because he took pains to teach me. By example. He would read The Hindu from top to bottom. Everyday. He still does. The interest I have in politics, in economics, in various subjects is purely because of his inspiration. His teaching.

My periyappa : I learnt how to be curious. How to ask questions. My decision to become engineer is because of him. My love for science is due to him. My interest in languages - especially sanskrit is because of his teaching. He taught me to think big. He taught me to take risks. He taught me to give and give without expecting. He taught me to enjoy the meaning of what I read. He taught me to read. Read widely. "Read whatever you can lay your hands. Then, slowly, you will learn to read only the good things. But, get into the habit of reading" was his advice. He tught me astrology - not that I learnt much...but whatever little I know, is since he took pains to teach me. He taught me to appreciate everything in life. He taught me so much..though I could not learn much...my own limitations...

Mani mama : I learnt how to be simple from him. How to take life as it comes. How to smile in spite of difficulties. How to enjoy music. His life itself is inspiration !!

My sister Gowri : I learnt to laugh at jokes - even if I am weeping inside. To enjoy the moments of life. To be in the present...

My brother Sriram : I learnt how to be myself. How to be relaxed. Whatever be the circumstances. To be aware of all that is happening around me. To be informed. To cultivate friends. Of all kinds . And still be myself.

so many people. So much of learnings. Not all the learnings are complete. Not all the learnings are fully imbibed. But there are sparks of learnings.

The world is full of teachers. If only we can learn...

0 comments: